CST 412.01 – General Communication Studies Internship
An internship is a hands on learning experience where you will apply the communication theory, research, and strategies you have learned in the Communication Studies program to agencies and organizations within the community. In addition to working on site, there is an online course component to help you connect program concepts with your work experiences.
CREDIT HOUR OPTIONS: 6 total credit hour limit
- You may complete 3 credit hours (90 work hours) at one site in one semester
- This may be repeated another semester at the same site, or at a different one.
- You may not attend two different sites in one semester.
- You may complete 6 credit hours (180 work hours) at one site in one semester.
- You must be a CST major junior or senior.
- You must complete a short application process to gain Instructor Permission for registration.
THE REGISTRATION PROCESS:
- Step 1: Find an internship site.
- While ultimately finding an internship site is your responsibility, here are some organizations seeking interns!
- Once you have determined your site you will need to identify a site supervisor who is willing to sign hours, evaluate your performance, etc.
- Many sites have an application process. Begin your search early the semester before you plan to complete an internship (March for Fall and October for Spring).
- Step 2: Prepare for your application.
- If you meet the above criteria and are interested in pursuing an internship opportunity:
- Write a Letter of Interest in business letter format addressed to Mrs. April Wright.
- There are many resources available online and also at UNCG’s Career Services Center to help you format your professional letter. It must include:
- A self-introduction,
- the site at which you plan to be an intern, and who your site supervisor will be,
- an explanation of what CST courses you have taken to prepare you for the internship, and
- justification for how that site prepares you for a position as a communication professional.
- Craft a professional email to a member of UNCG’s CST Faculty who you have had at least one course with.
- Indicate your interest in completing an internship and ask if they would be willing to fill out a short recommendation survey.
- Include the Internship Recommendation Survey and your letter of interest in the email to the faculty member.
- Update your resume.
- Step 3: Complete the application.
- Click on the CST Internship Application link and complete the form provided. You will need to upload the items discussed above.
- The Spring 2019 due date for your completed application is January 6, 2020 however, waiting will limit your choices in internship sites.
- Step 4: Application Approval
- Once your application has been reviewed and approved, you will receive an email notifying you to register for 412-01.
- The course is limited to 25 students and will not be over enrolled, so the earlier you get this done, the more likely you are to obtain a seat in the course.
- Step 5: Register for the course.
- Be sure to select the appropriate number of credit hours while signing up for the course on UNCGenie.
- Go to the detail schedule screen.
- Click on 412.
- Select options.
- Choose 3 or 6 credit hours.
- STEP 6: Enjoy your internship experience! 🙂
- You will complete an online CST 412 course while working at your internship site.
- Sample Calendar
For further information, email Internship Coordinator April Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org.