CST 412 – Communication Studies Internships
An internship is an onsite learning experience where you will use communication theory, research, and strategies in agencies and organizations within the larger community. You can earn 3 credit hours (90 hours at site) or 6 credit hours (180 hours at site). This course is limited to 25 students and will not be overenrolled.
- You must be a CST major junior or senior
- You must have a minimum 3.0 GPA in the major
- You may complete a maximum of 6 total credit hours
- You may complete 3 credit hours (90 work hours) at one site in one semester – this can be repeated the following semester at the same site, or a different one. (You cannot attend two different sites in one semester.)
- You may complete 6 credit hours (180 work hours) at one site in one semester.
- You are responsible for finding your internship opportunity, identifying a site supervisor who is willing to sign hours, evaluate your performance, etc., and following appropriate procedures to register for the course through the internship coordinator.
The following information will guide you through the process of considering CST412 for academic credit.
STEP 1: CONSIDERING AN INTERNSHIP?
STEP 2: FILL OUT AN APPLICATION
If you meet the criteria and are interested in pursuing an internship opportunity:
Prepare ahead of time:
- Obtain an unofficial electronic copy of your transcript.
- Write a Letter of Interest in business letter format. There are resources available online and UNCG’s Career Services Center. It must include
- A self-introduction,
- Where you plan to be an intern, and who your site supervisor will be,
- An explanation of what CST courses you have taken to prepare you for the internship, and
- Justification for how that site prepares you for a position as a communication professional.
- Craft a professional email to a member of UNCG’s CST Faculty who knows you. Indicate your interest in completing an internship and ask if they would be willing to provide you with a recommendation. Include this link (https://goo.gl/forms/hKoPIYv8SxX9crFe2), and your letter of interest in your email.
- Update your resume.
Once you have completed this preparation.
- Click on the CST Application link (CST Internship Application) and complete the form provided. Then email the Internship Coordinator at email@example.com notifying her that you have completed the application.
- The Spring 2019 due date for your completed application is January 7, 2019.
- Once all of this has been submitted and approved you will receive an email notifying you of your eligibility to register yourself for the course. (Hint: The course is limited to 25 students, so the earlier you get this done, the more likely you are to obtain a seat in the course.)
STEP 3: COMPLETING YOUR INTERNSHIP
- You will complete an online CST412 course while working at your internship site.
- Sample Calendar
For further information email Internship Coordinator April Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org